Image Map

Monday, November 14, 2011

It's Turkey Time!


Sorry I've been MIA lately, it's been super busy here! Is anyone else ready for Thanksgiving? Turkey Day is my absolute favorite holiday. I rank it above Christmas. I can't wait to wake up on Thanksgiving and watch the parade. :)


We have started a new creative writing project that I am LOVING. My kiddos need practice writing letters so I decided we would make it fun by writing from the perspective of the Turkey. Their job is, as the turkey, to convince people NOT to eat turkey for Thanksgiving. They are coming up with another food that they think should be eaten instead.

We started off by reading Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late by Mo Willems. We discussed how the pigeon was trying to get the reader to do something. Then we wrote down the sentence starters that the pigeon used to sound convincing. The kiddos also brainstormed who they could write the letter to and what food they would advertise instead of turkey.

I made a plan using free turkey clip art that Natalie's husband made. It's super cute. Feel free to download your own copy of my plan by clicking here.
Next, we'll use Ashleigh's Turkey Paper (Free on TPT) to write our letters focusing on the parts of a friendly letter. I can't wait to see how these turn out!

How are you getting ready for Thanksgiving?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Julie,
    I tried to download your turkey writing plan and I was unable to view it. I'm not sure why. Is there any way you could email it to me? Thanks!
    ~Lesley
    maris529@frontiernet.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to stumble upon another 2nd grade blog! I also teach 2nd and L-O-V-E it! I'm following ya, too! Looking forward to seeing what you show! Enjoy Thanksgiving!

    http://followingoptimism.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Anonymous,
    Is it really necessary for you to be so nasty? How about if you can't think of something nice to say about this fabulous activity than you keep your negative thoughts to yourself.

    Katie

    ReplyDelete